If you are here, then of course you are looking for the best podcast hosting service for your show, right? Well, fret not! We have got you covered.
In this review, we’ll go over Soundcloud and Podbean to determine which one is the best podcast hosting platform. First, we’ll discuss how to pick the right podcast hosting platform, then we’ll get into the specific features of both Soundcloud and Podbean. By the end of this review, you’ll be able to pick the right podcast hosting platform.
So, let’s get started.
How to Pick the Right Podcast Hosting Platform?
Before you choose a podcast hosting platform, you must create a list of criteria. Note that your criteria should be unique. Categorize the list as:
1) where is your podcast currently
2) where do you want your podcast to be in the future
Now, identify the features that are important for your podcast, then determine the ways in which you want your podcast to grow in the future.
Answer a few important questions such as:
- Do you want to find a hosting platform compatible with your website?
- Do you want to find a host that lets your audience share your podcast easily?
Put “What am I looking for?” at the top of your criteria, then answer other questions. No matter if you are looking for a host that offers a simple RSS feed or ease of use, these questions will help you reach a decision.
You can also create a list of essentials while reading our comparative review. Highlight Soundcloud’s pros and cons in one column, then highlight the same features for Podbean. Take notes about the important feature of each host, then compare your list to identify the best podcast hosting service for your needs.
Now, let’s take a look at the most essential things that you need to consider in order to determine the best podcast hosting service.
What Is Podbean?
Podbean is known as one of the best podcast hosting platforms. Podbean provides features that help you take control of your shows. The Podbean website has good quality aesthetics, ease of access as well as distribution.
Let’s take a look at the essential characteristics of Podbean:
- Create a webpage as well as a blog to support your show
- Embedded directly with WordPress
- RSS feed is easily accessible
- Subscription packages for users are available
- Helps you choose affordable payment plans per month
- Enable you to use your own domain
- Offers unlimited storage space on the premium plan
Pricing is an important factor when choosing the right podcast hosting service. Podbean offers an unlisted feeless option for podcasters; however, there are many premium options as well.
The smallest Podbean package starts at about 3$ per year or 5$ per month; however, as the number of listeners increases, you are required to switch to the 14$ per month plan in order to access the full functions of the hosting platform.
Podbean provides a 39$ per month payment plan for video podcasts as well.
Pros and Cons of Podbean
The pros and cons of Podbean are as follows:
- A feeless plan option is available
- Premium plans are affordable
- Large storage space for podcasts
- High-quality RSS feed is available
- The website is easily accessible
- The website is updated regularly to support functions
- A simple setup for technical podcasters
- Does not offer phone support service
How to Monetize on Podbean
You can monetize your podcasts by:
- Join the marketplace to get access to ad opportunities
- Look for sponsors to support your podcast
- Ask your listeners to donate gifts to support your show
What Is SoundCloud?
Soundcloud is the most popular music-sharing website; however, the website is not exclusively designed for podcasts, unlike Podbean. The website has essential features to upload new shows; however, a lot of important features are missing on Soundcloud.
Now, let’s look at the essential characteristics of Podbean:
- The platform is easily accessible to listeners
- There are three unique payment plans for podcasters
- Users can easily save and share episodes
- RSS feed can be accessed after searching
Soundcloud has many account options as per your individual podcast needs. There is a free plan that lets you have three hours of free storage, whereas you can get six hours of uploads with the pro podcast plan.
If you require a lot of storage space for your podcasts, then the Pro unlimited plan is the best for you. This plan helps you schedule your episode releases as well.
Pros and Cons of SoundCloud
The pros and cons of SoundCloud are as follows:
- The platform is easy to navigate
- It is compatible with the podcast app
- It is designed to offer ease of storage
- Listeners can easily interact
- It offers a feeless account option as well
- Originally designed for music streaming
- Lack essential podcast features
How to Monetize on SoundCloud
To monetize your podcasts on SoundCloud, you need to do the following:
- Enable the monetization option on the tracks page and choose the track you want to monetize
- Of course, donations and sponsorships are available as well
Which One Is the Best Podcast Hosting Platform?
Now that you know the essential features as well as the pros and cons of both SoundCloud and Podbean, it is up to you to make the right decision as per your podcast needs.
However, as per our review, Podbean appears to be the better podcast hosting platform. Most importantly, SoundCloud’s podcast hosting software has the risk of being shut down at any time in the future. There have been many instances in the past as well. Moreover, SoundCloud does not host many of the important features that are essential for a podcast hosting service. Thus, we recommend Podbean as one of the best hosting platforms for podcasters.