With over 485 million consumers worldwide, podcasts are growing more and more in popularity. Seeing this popularity, many people are now getting interested in starting and monetizing their own podcast channels to earn a side income.
If you, too, are planning to get into the podcast world, you need to look for the best podcast hosting through which you can host your podcasts and submit them to famous podcast directories to target more listeners.
In this article, we have given a comprehensive overview of the importance of getting the right hosting and we review the best podcast hosting providers to help you find the one that best meets your needs.
Why Do I Need a Podcast Hosting Service?
A podcast hosting is a dedicated platform that makes storage and distribution of your audio files easier for you. Its built-in features help manage the technical aspects of sharing/creating podcasts by simplifying the whole process.
You can submit your podcasts to a number of podcast directories through an RSS feed that’s provided by podcast hosting. In addition to it, you can add descriptions, cover photos, and change audio file format or size through podcast hosting easily.
To put it simply, a podcast hosting service makes it easier for podcasters to take podcasts from their PCs into people’s ears.
Why Can’t I Use My Website to Host My Podcast?
You may want to save money by using your website to host podcasts. The idea seems tempting, but it is not reliable and can cost you your listeners.
Since podcast files are heavier, using web hosting for them can lead to serious bandwidth issues. It may make your site shut down due to high load, or you may end up paying a chunky bill. Therefore, using a dedicated platform is a more reliable choice.
BuzzSprout has the nicest look that helps users keep their sites simple and speedy. Its import feature allows you to transfer your files from another hosting to BuzzSprout without any hassle. You can automate ads, create audio highlights, and polish your audio through its useful features.
- Allows you to automate podcast sound
- Gives listeners stat
- Allows users to add chapter markers
- High-quality sound
- A free basic plan
- Several podcast directories
- The pricing structure seems complicated
- The basic plan expires in 3 months
Spreaker offers unique features that you may not find in other hosting services. It lets you record podcasts and live streams. You can insert ads to monetize your podcasts and distribute your files to several main podcast directories.
- Spreaker Studios Allows you to live stream and record an audio
- Easy to migrate your files from one hosting to this
- Simple and clean interface
- A basic free version
- One-click distribution
- Customer support could be improved
Transistor is a great platform as it allows you to form a members-only podcast so that your team members can manage your podcasts easily. It allows you to upload as many audio files as you want. You can publish your videos to YouTube automatically, which helps in saving time.
- Has a unique embedded podcast player
- Offers many private podcasting tools
- Easy to use and understand
- Many options to customize your site
- Responsive customer support
- Lacks a free plan
PodBean is an easy-to-set-up hosting that you can use to upload audio as well as video. Its analytical tools are slick and allow you to track the success of your podcasts efficiently. It has a mobile app that makes access to content easier.
- Paid plans allow unlimited storage
- Allows users to customize web pages
- Several monetization options
- Simple interface
- Limited site designs
Simplecast is an affordable option that gives you all the tools you need to grow and distribute your podcasts. There are many web design customization options you can use to attract listeners. They reduce the size of audio files that are over 128kbps without altering content in any way.
- Allows you to make your episodes private
- Create short videos to share on social media platforms
- Several file customization options
- Affordable plans
- Precise analytics
- Several site builder features
- Limited and short free trial
Captivate aims to help podcasters grow their audience with its numerous useful features. Its interface is non-techy, which makes it suitable for beginners as well. You can polish your podcasts using automatic audio processing. You can grow your revenue by using its helpful monetization options.
- Has IAB certified analytics
- Allows you to add unlimited team members
- Offers CaptivateSync plug-in to connect your files to your website
- Professional design
- Many tutorials to understand the platforms better
- Limited web designs available
Castos makes it easy to sync your show with your WordPress website through its plug-in. You can create a text version of your episodes through its transcription feature. It also offers podcast production services that can help busy podcasters edit and refine their audio.
- Offers useful tools for private or premium episodes
- Let’s you hire Castos Productions for podcast editing
- Easy to integrate with WordPress site
- Unlimited episodes
- Audio transcriptions feature
- Lacks free plan
It’s a relatively new podcast hosting but offers advanced and beneficial features you could use to grow your show. Its interface is straightforward, meaning both novice and experienced podcasters can run it efficiently. What’s more, you can enjoy a free 1-month trial of each of its plans to see which is suitable for you.
- Allows transfer of episodes from one account to another
- Provides many helpful resources to understand monetization options
- 1-month trial
- Affordable plans
- Free website builder
- Limited features in the free plan
This podcast hosting offers many extra features. Since it works with WordPress sites, you will find many customization options while hosting your site on it. It helps you build your community through unique download, subscription, and social sharing buttons.
- Allows you to send emails and newsletters
- Helps you highlight a trending or your favorite episode
- Many web design customization options
- Built-in mobile player
- Works only for WordPress sites
It helps you maintain your podcasting workflow by providing you responsive websites, daily backups, and easy-to-understand analytics. What’s more, you can boost your traffic by promoting your podcasts through its digital marketing support system.
- Provides access to several videos, media, and a community forum
- Offers several powerful plug-ins
- Drag and drop web builder
- 24/7 support
It is a great platform for large networks and radio groups to manage all of their podcast-related elements through one platform. Its partnership with distribution sites helps you boost your reach. There are many monetization options for podcasters who have 10,000 plus plays/month.
- Has a built-in ad network for monetization
- Provides advanced stats to evaluate podcast performance
- Sleek-looking embedded player
- Ad insertion
- No app
- Can upload only 5 episodes/month for the simple plan
Blubrry is one of the oldest podcast hosting providers. Their Powerpress plug-in is popular among podcasters as it allows them to host podcasts from their own sites. They follow official podcast measurement guidelines that can help you with sponsorship.
- Has a clean dashboard containing multiple tools
- Gives a leeway of around 25% of your original plan without charging extra
- Does not change an audio file in any way
- IAB certified
- Limited statistic options
Like Blubrry, it has been a part of the podcast hosting world since the early days. It has thousands of happy customers worldwide who trust it for its knowledgeable services. Its unique OnPublish features can save you time and effort by helping you edit your content and customize your delivery to different destinations.
- Offers tools to add metadata
- Allows you to publish content in one click through its app
- Constant updates to improve and add tools
- Highly experienced podcast hosting providers
- Not beginner-friendly
- No free plan
Fireside is a comparatively new platform, launched in 2016, but has gained a lot of popularity in such a short time. It has many advanced features. The optimized dashboard helps you focus more on creating content. You can also publish an episode at a specific time automatically by using its pre-set episodes feature.
- Provides a 1-click, simple hosting transfer option
- Comes with a custom domain name and customizable website
- Simple layout
- Active customer support
- No con
It is one of the few platforms that really provide unlimited bandwidth and storage. It will not tell you to upgrade your plan when your following grows. Its Production Assistant system can assist you in organizing various files and work as it shows reviews and notes right on your dashboard.
- Allows you to add chapter markers in different places of an episode
- Lets you submit a podcast to any info directory you want
- Podcast production consultation service
- Several payment plans
- Fewer editing features
Free Podcast Hosting: The Pros and Cons
- Completely free
- Allows you to test a platform before investing in it
- Helps you find if podcasting is right for you or not before you start buying expensive tools
- Provides access to limited features
- Limited storage and bandwidth
- Difficult to monetize your episodes
- May not allow you to move to a different platform
Record, Edit and Publish to Your Host with ALITU
ALITU is a simple podcast editing tool that provides several drag and drop features to help busy podcasters record, edit, and publish their audios to a host. It can save you time, effort, and energy by converting your rough audio into a polished form in a few minutes.
Its key features include:
- Removal of mistakes or clips that you do not want in your audios
- Adds an intro and outro to every podcast automatically
- Removes background noises automatically
- Connect to any hosting service to publish episodes anytime
Podcast Hosting FAQs
What is Podcast Hosting?
As the name indicates, podcast hosting is designed specifically for podcasts. It provides you a space to publish your podcasts and make them accessible to your listeners. In addition to this, it also produces an RSS feed that you can submit to podcast directories to expand your reach and target more listeners.
Can I Host my Podcast on my Website?
It is best to choose a podcast dedicated hosting that provides all podcast-related features. A website has limited bandwidth and can cause trouble when downloading heavy audio files. Hosting podcasts on your site can cost you listeners and big bucks.
How to Pick the Best Hosting for Podcasts?
You should look for all the in-built features of hosting before choosing it. Any hosting that offers features that you need for your podcasts at a reasonable price will probably be the best for you.
Generally, you should check the bandwidth, monetization options, analytical reporting, ease of use, and cost of hosting before buying it.
How Much Does Hosting for a Podcast Cost?
On average, the cost of podcast hosting can range from $10 to $50 per month. You can start with a basic plan and upgrade it to an advanced plan when your downloads increase.
Should I Use a Free Podcast Host?
A free podcast host has limited features. It is a great choice if you want to test the waters and find if podcast hosting is worth investing in or not. It’s not a good choice for monetization purposes.
What is the Best Place to Publish my Podcast?
There are many popular podcast directories where you can publish your show and help potential listeners discover your show. The best podcast directories include Apple Podcasts (formerly known as iTunes), Spotify, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, and Pandora.
Podcast hosting is an important element that you must choose carefully to run your new podcast channel. Podcast hosts differ from each other based on their pricing, tools, and features. You should carefully read and compare the features of each of the above-mentioned podcast hosts to choose the one that suits your needs the best.