YouTube is the most popular free platform for uploading video content and sharing it with your friends, family, and the world.
Uploading a video to YouTube is a simple and quick process. That is why 500 hours of videos are uploaded on this platform every minute across the world. It means 720,000 hours of video every day!
If you are starting your YouTube business, here is how you can upload your first video using a mobile phone or PC. We also offer some other great tips on the best way to upload your YouTube videos.
How to Upload My First Video to YouTube
Set Up an Account
Once you have created your first video, the first thing you need to do is set up your YouTube account. Since Google owns YouTube, you need a Google account to create your YouTube business or personal account.
- Create a new Google account by clicking here.
- Open YouTube and click on your account thumbnail located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose “My Channel” from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your channel name in the option that has appeared on your screen. Then click “Create Channel.”
Congratulations, now you are a YouTube account owner. Add your channel art such as the profile image, banner, etc., to increase the credibility of your YouTube videos.
Once your account has been established, log in to it to upload your first video.
- Open YouTube in your web browser.
- Click on the “Sing in” button present at the top right corner of the screen.
- Enter your email address. Click on the “Next” button.
- Enter your password. Click on the “Sign in” button.
YouTube homepage will appear on the screen.
Where to Go to Upload a Video
- Upload the file from your video camera to your computer so you can edit and prepare it for upload to YouTube
- Click on the camera icon having a plus (+) sign. You will find it at the top right corner beside the YouTube app icon.
- Select “Upload Video” from the dropdown menu.
A new page will appear on your screen. It is where you will upload your first video.
How to Upload a Video
- Drag your video to the arrow and drop it there. It will start uploading.
- Another option is to click on the “Select File” button. Select the file that you want to upload. Click “Open.” The video file will start uploading.
- Change your video’s privacy settings. Click “Public” if you want everyone to see your video. Click “Unlisted” if you want to make it visible only to those who have a direct link to the video. Click “Private” if you do not want anyone to view the video. Click “Scheduled” if you want to publish it at a particular time.
- Add a title for your video, description, and tags.
- Select video thumbnail.
- Add video to a playlist.
- Click “Publish.”
Upload Videos from Your Phone
Follow these steps to upload a video on YouTube using your phone.
- Download YouTube from the App Store (iOS users) or Play Store (Android users).
- Open the YouTube app and sign in using your Google account.
- Tap your profile icon present at the top right corner of your phone’s screen.
- Select “Your Channel” from the dropdown menu. It is the first option on the menu.
- Tap the white/black camera icon located beside the search icon. Give the YouTube app access to your camera, photos, and microphone.
- Choose the video from the list of all video files stored on your phone.
- Edit your video using options available on the screen (optional step).
- Tap on the “Next” button if you are uploading video through an iPhone or iPad.
- Add a title for your video and description.
- Select a suitable privacy option (as mentioned earlier).
- Add location (option).
- Tap on the “Upload” button present at the top right corner of the screen. The video will soon appear in your video list.
The Best Settings for SEO
There are many ways to improve your video’s SEO. Below is the list of the top methods that will help you rank#1.
Keywords are the foundation of search engine optimization. It means your keyword research will have a huge impact on your video’s SEO.
As a beginner, start with low competition and high volume keywords. You can use different tools such as Google Keyword Planner, Google search, and Moz, etc., to find suitable keywords.
Add Keywords to the Video Title
Keep your title for your video short, clear, and catchy. Do not forget to add your primary keywords, around the keyword your video is based on.
Keywords for the title are critical to YouTube SEO. Look at the titles of the top video search results and try to do a similar title.
Add Keywords to Video Description
A solid and optimized video description is another important ranking factor. Since YouTube shows the first two to three lines of description to viewers (then viewers have to click on “show more”), you should try adding primary keywords to these lines.
Look at the top video for the keywords and see if you can add similar keywords. They are ranking in the YouTube algorithm for a reason.
Add Relevant Hashtags
Hashtags play a crucial role in boosting your video’s ranking. Try using the most relevant keywords here. It is the perfect place to use LSI keywords.
Request People to Comment
The comments on a video tell how popular and engaging the content is. YouTube prefers popular content. Therefore, if you get more comments on your video, your chances of ranking that video higher will increase many times.
How Many Videos Should I Post a Month
It is hard to suggest a number of videos because there is no set rule to determine it.
It is best to upload ‘consistently’ as much ‘quality content’ as you can. Here we have two keywords that you need to focus on.
One is the ‘consistency,’ and the other is the ‘quality content.’
For a channel, consistency can mean anything. It may mean uploading once a week, once a month, or even once a year. No matter how much content you upload, make sure you establish a routine and stay consistent.
The other important thing is the content quality. If you try uploading videos every day, you may lose content quality. Therefore, you should try to focus more on quality rather than quantity. Upload as many videos as you can without sacrificing the quality.
Generally, we can say that uploading 4 videos a month (1 video a week) is the right way to grow your YouTube channel. You want to start making videos for YouTube at home see what the experts have to say.
Q: What is the Best Way to Share a Video?
If you want to share a video, then open that video and click on the “Share” button. Different sharing options will appear on the screen. These options include social networks, email, embed, and copy the link. Choose any of these options according to your needs.
Q: How Long Does It Take to Upload a Video to YouTube?
A video can take from a few minutes to several hours to get uploaded. The time duration depends on several factors, such as your internet connection speed, video file size and type, and video quality. Uploading can take more time if you upload the file during peak hours.
Q: What Equipment Do You Need to Start a YouTube Channel 2022?
People use different equipment to record and upload their YouTube videos. A camera, tripod, external microphone, and a decent light ring are the basic equipment one can use to start a YouTube video channel in 2022.
Q: Why Can’t I Upload a Video to YouTube from My iPhone?
You need to give the YouTube app access to your camera roll in order to upload a video to YouTube from your iPhone.
If you have given access but the video is still not being uploaded, we recommend you sign out of your account and then sign in again. Another way that works for people is the uninstallation and then reinstallation of the YouTube app.
Q: What YouTube Video Gets the Most Views?
According to the August 2021 stats, the following are the top 5 most-viewed videos on YouTube.
“Baby Shark Dance” by Pinkfong Kids’ Songs & Stories – 9.2 billion views
“Despacito” by Luis Fonsi – 7.5 billion views
“Johny Johny Yes Papa” by LooLoo Kids – 5.65 billion views
“Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran – 5.43 billion views
“See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth – 5.23 billion views
Q: What Is the Best Upload Format for YouTube?
According to YouTube, the best format for uploading a video file to YouTube is MP4.
Q: Why Don’t I Have an Option to Upload a YouTube Video?
You may not find the upload button if you are trying to upload your YouTube video using a phone or tab. We would recommend you upload the video using a PC. If the issue still stays unresolved, contact YouTube support and share your problem with them to get a timely solution.
Q: Do I Need a YouTube Channel to Upload Videos?
Yes, you certainly need a YouTube account to upload videos. Even if you have a YouTube account, you will not be able to do video uploads unless you create a channel as well.
Q: How do I upload multiple videos to YouTube from my iPhone?
Go to the file upload page as described in the above step-by-step guide. Select all video files that you want to upload to your channel. These videos will be uploaded one at a time. The order will be the same that you selected initially. You cannot upload multiple files at once using your iPhone or any other device.